Posted on: 25 August 2017
There are certain times that, as a homeowner, it may be beneficial to perform maintenance checks throughout the house to ensure everything is in working order. While doing these checks, there may be some steps you can take to ensure that your electricity is functioning properly. However, these steps should remain simplistic, as dealing with any extreme home wiring should be done by a licensed contractor, because if not done correctly, it may cause dangerous consequences. The information listed below offers some tips on how to perform basic home electrical maintenance checks.
Electrical Power Unit
The first step you should take before checking over any electrical equipment in your home is to shut down the main power unit. Locate the circuit-breaker box in your home and turn off the main power switch. This will prevent power from going through the wiring so you can perform your electrical maintenance checks safely. It will also prevent you from accidentally coming into contact with a grounded wire, which can cause an electrical fire.
Electrical GFCI Units
All electrical outlets located near a water source in your home should be equipped with a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI). The purpose of a GFCI unit is to initiate a shut off of power to that circuit when necessary, to prevent you from getting shocked. Typically, most homes are already equipped with GFCI units in areas such as the kitchen and bathroom. However, if you notice that there are no GFCI units in these areas, you may need to have them installed by an electrician.
Surge Protectors And Extension Cords
Although, extension cords work great to allow you to maneuver your electronics to areas where there is no known power source, they should only be used for a short span of time. This is because extension cords can quickly become overheated due to the amount of power emitting from the electrical wiring system through the cords. When this happens, it may create a hazardous situation and cause someone to get shocked. Therefore, it may be best to use surge protectors in order to add additional power to a room. This will protect you and your loved ones from any possible electrical shocking hazard.
Overloaded Outlet Circuits
When an electrical outlet warms up, it may be hard for you to pull the cord to your electrical equipment out of the circuit. This happens because the outlet becomes overheated, which can create a dangerous situation and possibly an electrical fire. In addition, as the outlet warms up, it will also cause the circuit breaker to flip to the off position. If you notice this is happening, you should contact an electrical repairman as soon as possible.
If you are unsure whether you have some electrical issues in your home after performing these minor maintenance checks, consider having your wiring and outlets checked over by a professional electrician company, such as Narducci Electric.Share